Tuesday, February 21, 2006


Annual Transmitter Replacement Fee

Jenny says:
We are busy studying the guide book, getting familiar with the software, and rereading Wil's blog before the appointment on Thursday.


One of the things that I haven't mentioned yet is that the transmitter needs to be replaced annually. Our local Medtronic Rep. told us that in order to make something completely waterproof, Medtronic needed to use a nonreplaceable battery in the transmitter. This piece should stay on while Tommy is in the shower or swimming. The battery or batteries should last about 1 year. I called today to find out what the replacement fee would be and found out that it is $500 for a new transmitter. Keep your fingers crossed that health insurance coverage comes soon because this sure is getting expensive when you add an annual theft/loss insurance fee and this replacement battery fee.

But we are still very anxious to start using the Guardian RT. I accidentally slept through the 1:45 a.m. check last night. I didn't check him until I woke up at 3:30 am. He was 51! The last two nights he has needed a correction at 1:45 a.m. It doesn't seem to follow any real pattern these days. I can't wait until I can see more numbers. It will be worth it!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I am so hopeful that CGMS works out well for children. They are the ones that may need it the most. I am very appreciative of the fact that you are blogging these results and thankful to your son for being willing to give this system a try. It is no small matter to have to deal with two site changes. If this works out well for him, and by blogging you will certainly have documentation, the insurance companies will have to at least give this system a nod, and children everywhere will have a model to use if they are considering continuous glucose monitoring. Currently, there is no model for them. Many children do not have stable and predictable blood sugars -- my niece is one of them -- regardless of whether the mode of insulin administration is MDI or pump. We, too, do the 3 or 4 hour through the night checks. I know this system will work. My qualms are more as to the two site changes (she has very little fat). Your son looks lean, from the picture. If it works out for him, we will also give it a try. When we can get our hands on the Guardian... LOL.