Thursday, March 09, 2006

Painful sensor insertion

Jenny says:
We got a little busy since the last sensor was in Tommy, so we didn't try to insert a new sensor until tonight. This was our first one all by ourselves and it did not go well.

I decided to try it tonight because the kids don't have school tomorrow. The manual says that it is better to insert in the morning because you need a steady blood sugar two hours after the sensor insertion and then another steady one 6 hours after that. But we never woke up in time to do that before school this week. Plus he would have to enter some figures into the monitor while he was in school. I didn't think he was ready to do that on his own yet. I think I better try a few week-ends first when I am with him. (Summer would also be a good time to try this.)

Well, I decided to try tonight and then just wake up two hours later to calibrate it. We numbed the two spots for 30 minutes. Then he took a shower, he needed one anyways. His pump insertion went fine, as always lately. Quick and easy. Then we came to the sensor.

He had told me earlier, that he did not want to wear it, but I told him that he had to give it another try. It has been a little complicated that we don't have to wear it, like with his pump. That is a good thing, and in this initial case a not so good thing. I think in his mind, since he isn't very fond of it yet, he hopes that I just forget about it. So he puts up a little resistance. I will definitely not make him wear it all the time if that is what he chooses. But I feel that we should probably try it 5 or 6 times before we come to any real conclusion.

He tried to put the sensor in with the automatic inserter. It must have been too steep of an angle. (We had this same problem with the Silhouette inserter.) He immediately began to cry. (Being 9:30 pm didn't help either.) I believe that it went too deep. Maybe hit some nerve endings. It didn't bleed. We slowly took the whole sensor needle back out. I gave him a hug and told him that we would wait until after his basketball tournament this weekend.

I called minimed and they gave me some pointers about how to angle the inserter so it is not so steep. Also, they recommended that I try to find a spot where I can "pinch an inch" on him. Those spots are limited. They also said that they would give me a credit for a sensor.

I'll write more on the next sensor insertion try.

8 comments:

Wil said...

Tommy--

I'm sooooo sorry to hear you had a bad experince with the insertion. It happens every great once in a while, but not often.

Hang in there, buddy, once you get use to your Guardian you are really gonna' love her.

Would I lie to you? No way!

bethany said...

Tommy -I give you a lot of credit. You're so much braver then I am. Keep it up buddy! I know you can do it. And just think ... you're helping all of us scardy cat diabetics out there by showing us what it's like and maybe giving us enough courage to go out there and try it! Thanks kiddo! <3

Anonymous said...

Poor little guy. Perhaps the U.S. Guardian sensor is just too much for children. The sensor on the Canadian pump (which by the way does not require wearing the extra pager-like device) looks much smaller. If it's too painful, of course kids won't be able to wear it. Mini-Med needs to be very sensitive about this issue if they hope to place this device on children. And it is a much needed device. Hope it works out well in future, and this insertion problem was just a fluke.

Anonymous said...

I love my pump, no way would I trust a device like that, nor woould I want to go through that pain every time. Maybe it's too much for a child to endure. Certainly too much for this adult

Anonymous said...

Hi there, just wаnted to say, I liked this article.
It ωas inspiring. Кеep on postіng!



mу site; moringa oleifera

Anonymous said...

I'm really enjoying the theme/design of your web site. Do you ever run into any browser compatibility issues? A few of my blog readers have complained about my blog not working correctly in Explorer but looks great in Firefox. Do you have any suggestions to help fix this problem? ageless male - hormone replacement - ageless male

Anonymous said...

Ι love уouг blog.. ѵery nice сolorѕ & theme.

Dіd уοu mаkе this ωebѕite yourself ог did you hire ѕomеonе to
do it for yοu? Рlz answer bacκ
as I'm looking to construct my own blog and would like to find out where u got this from. many thanks

my blog post: auto shipping (efreecommercetools.com)

Anonymous said...

Unquestіonably imаginе that whiсh you
stated. Youг favourite justіfication appearеd to be on the web the еasiest
faсtor to bеar in mind of. I say tο you, I ceгtainly get iгkeԁ whilst folks
consider worrieѕ that they plainlу ԁo not recognise аbout.
You contrοlled to hit the nail upon the highest аѕ smaгtly as dеfіned out the whole thing wіthout
having side-еffeсts , othеr fοlκs could take a sіgnal.
Will pгobаbly be again to gеt more.
Thank you

my web blog :: Cheapest car insurance